My Favorites on my Etsy Right Now! (and the inspirations behind them)




If you like any of these original works, you can find them on the link below!







ALWAYS KEEP FIGHTING


I painted this one for an art challenge in August of last year right after I changed my name to Arlie Opal. (more info on how I came up with this name in my first blog!)

That days topic of the art challenge was "Inspiration". I had just lost my Dad in a motorcycle accident in March of the same year. He was a member of an amazing organization named BACA or Biker's Against Child Abuse when he was hit by a car. (Keep Watch for Motorcycles Guys) 


I have always suffered from Anxiety and Depression ever since I was 12 years old, but art has always been a constant. No matter what my brain tells me with my over worrying and sensitivity, I always had art. Even when I have lost my family, gained a husband, moved across the country, felt I was a failure at what I did, and suffered from grief; I always had art. I wanted to show how much painting has helped me overcome everything I've been through and will continue to go through because life is so crazy. Art continues to inspire me to this day and this painting remains one of my favorites.





THE BOY WHO LIVED


This one I came obviously from one of my favorite all time books, Harry Potter. At the time I painted this one, I wanted to do each chapter. Unfortunetly, life kind of got in the way. Dave was out of town all week for work and we had just gotten our pug, Gilbert. So my idea of doing one per month didn't work out. I do still have plans though! 

Harry Potter has always been a huge part of my life. I felt very connected to him in the books and even got the first book when I was around 11 or 12. So I really grew up with them as if they were my friends. I will forever and always be a Potterhead. Ravenclaw Represent!





SLIME


This is one of my absolute favorites. It was also a prompt on the Monster Girl Art Challenge, that I use when I want to draw but don't know what I want to doodle. I love this one because it was my first attempt at trying to stylize my artwork. I like many others in the 2000s drew a lot of anime at the prime of my high school. I sure you can tell in a lot of my work that they are anime inspired. I'm slowly trying to come to my own at 27 to make my own way. 

Another reason I love this one is because of the emotion her face conveys. I have been practicing so hard to draw expressions which is very hard for me. She's just a shy slime girl chilling and reading a book.




DARK SEER


This one is the first in my ongoing series of Fantastical Women. The inspiration for this one honestly came from the fact that I really wanted to draw a woman without pupils. That was the first step. I was also inspired by the Amazons in show Xena Warrior Princess (favorite show ever) and by the show Vikings (husband's favorite show).

I did use a reference for the posing of this picture. But I have noticed by painting portraits over and over it eventually becomes a learned memory. I am almost at the point where I can draw a person free hand and have it look semi-realistic. Also almost all of the shading done in this is my own. Learned memory! I'm telling you!!!




CELESTIAL MOTHER


Another favorite, the inspiration came from another artwork I had come across (I don't know the artist unfortunately). It was a painting of a hand grasping towards a star and I absolutely loved it. The brainstorming came immediately! I wanted a woman, a mother, to hold on to her stars and planets and convey her love for her creations. I also did all of the gold you see in the picture with Winsor & Newton Gold ink so that it shimmers in the light. I loved doing this painting and love this so much that I almost kept the original. I might in a year repaint this picture and see how much I've improved in a year!

So watch out! Anywhoodles, that includes a list of my favorites that are on my Etsy right now! You can also find phone cases, throw blankets, pillows, shirts, and many other things on my REDBUBBLE and SOCIETY6!







Tell me in the comments about your favorite works of art, mine, someone else's or your very own piece! I would love to hear about what works are your favorites and tell me what inspires you in your hobby!




I will be posting a new blog post every Wednesday!

Comments

Popular Posts