A Pug Named Gilbert

            My husband, Dave, and I got Gilbert September 26, 2015. His official birthday is August 1st!

I’ve been wanting a dog for a long time and after losing my Dad in March 2015, I really needed an all around companion. I had done a ton of research on pugs and found they were the best for what I needed.

Now let me tell you what my research said:
1.      Pugs are super chill and can nap up to 16 hours a day
2.      They come in two colors, Fawn (the most popular) and Black
3.      You have to clean out their ears and wrinkles weekly
4.      They are very clingy
5.      They will eat anything

Here is what Gilbert is:
1.      Very energetic, sometimes I call him the fastest pug in the world. He loves running and chasing. He sometimes tucks his butt so he can run even faster.
2.      He is a Black pug, which I found out later after further research are more energetic and leaner. His face is a little sunken and he actually is a little overweight! The vet said he could lose a pound or 2.
3.      You do have to clean out his wrinkles. If you don’t clean them, they can become infected with moisture or eye gunk and cause a rash which can be very painful for your pug. He absolutely hates getting his wrinkles and ears clean, but falls asleep when you trim his nails. And David trims his nails like a salon.
4.      He is very very very very very clingy. He follows me everywhere and has to have a constant visual on my location. He has been known to completely lose it if I’m not around. I’m his best friend. It can be annoying sometimes because I don’t have time to myself often, but at the same time it’s really nice when I’m having a bad day.
5.      They absolutely eat anything. We have had to specifically train him to wait if something falls on the ground. I take a lot of medication for anxiety, sleep, hyperthyroidism and hypertriglyceridemia. And these pills could kill his small 20 lbs. frame. 

Another great thing I’ve discovered as he’s gotten older, Gilbert has acclimated to whatever I’m doing. If I’m painting, he’s usually just looking out the window, taking a nap or watching tv with me. Which is perfect. If I’m depressed or having a bad day he will take a nap with me. If I’m having a small panic attack, he’s close by or watching me to make sure I’m okay. At least that’s what I think he’s doing. Pugs are for sure the weirdest dog I’ve ever had, they are like Dog/cat/pigs. He has some cat tendencies, like using his paws for hands (very good at that), sleeping, and side eyeing if you go somewhere. Pig because he will eat anything, whether it’s edible or not. I’ve found lots of weird things in his poop, including but not limited to ear plugs, plastic bags, leaves, sticks, hair, and many other things.
Gilbert was also the runt of the litter, giving him abnormally large ears (which flops when he walks) and bigger eyes. He was named after my grandmother’s maiden name, Frieda Gilbert.




Tell me in the comments about your pets! I love all animals and would love to hear about them!


A pug named Gilbert

I will be posting a new blog post every Wednesday!








Comments

Popular Posts